Sunday, July 21, 2013

A victorious Tam Biet

Saturday was the last day of competitions at CFC.  My Green 9th graders did incredibly, finishing 1st place in basketball, soccer, and tennis. Soccer was mostly barefoot sliding in the mud, but we pushed and kicked harder so we were a dominant force.   I loved the enthusiasm with which all the kids dived into the mud. No one held back on this final competition day. Our 8th graders were 2nd or 3rd place in all the sports, but I am almost more proud of them because they played with so much heart. Basketball was an especially amazing example of their character.



The game that qualified the green tornadoes to the championship game was possibly my highlight of CFC. Red and green were tied (2-2...they struggled with  making baskets) and we didn't have time to play overtime, so we did a free-throw shoot-out: best of 5 for each team, just like PKs in soccer.  Both teams were tied after 5, so we went to rounds of sudden death. Both teams' 6th man made their shots, which was quite exciting. At that point we were down to our weakest players, so I tagged a small, uncoordinated and slihgtly (uncharacteristic for Vietnam) chubby boy named Duy to shoot our 7th shot. Red team had already missed, and he was under a lot of pressure from his teammates. Duy had a very scared, but also very concentrated face as he stepped up to the line. He chucked the ball with terrible form (so much for 3 weeks of technique training) and the ball swished perfectly through the net. He bounced about 3 feet in the air (approximately his own height) and was the happiest kid I have seen. Great photodocumentation of this to come. IT was a great moment-- the teams erupted into cheers, and Green team carried him on their shoulders and threw him in the air. It was so awesome! But by far the best part of the story is that Duy  went from being a shy, insecure kid to a confident boy strutting around the school in just a matter of seconds. He finally got some recognition from his classmates, and that can do a lot to a enhance a kid's self-esteem. What a guy, and what a moment. When I said goodbye to him today, he couldn't look at me because his face was so red and upset and tears were streaming down his face.










The saga continues: Having joyfully qualified for the championship game, green tornados were faced with a choice as the afternoon monsoon began. I gave them the option of playin gon the covered but very slippery tennis courts or on the basketball court in the rain. They instantly and unanimously cheered to play in the rain. They got soaked, but played ferociously (such that we had to call quite a few fouls). Unfortunately, the green tornados lost to the legend of Sunflower. The look on their faces as they left the court was heart breaking...its so hard to cheer kids up after they lose.

This morning was the final awards ceremony of CFC, and it was quite the emotional roller coaster. It started off with the amazing news that our 9th graders won 1st place overall and earned medals! I am so proud of the progress they have made: ethically, academically, and athletically. They were all very happy and we screamed and jumped and beamed as I hung plastic gold medals around their necks. A little later, I was proud that Victor (Tha.nh) was awarded 3rd place in academics for 8th grade, though unfortunately my fierce 8th graders took a sad 4th place in the competition.



Thanh, Nhu, and Ngan say "go 'cats!!"

 After the ceremony, it took us about an hour to tearfully pry ourselves away from the saddest group of kids I have ever seen. I wasn't surprised to see a lot of the girls crying as they hugged me, but when my big, tough, trouble-making 9th grade boys started sobbing, my heart broke. Everyone from muscle-man "gangster" Truyen to little fat Duy to the cutest little 12-year old Ngan had the salty red eyes and anguished faces. One does not need to share a language to communicated emotion with that kind of intensity.


Ngan

Daisy

Snowee and Trinh (muscle-man)

 It reminded me of how I felt when I had to say goodbye to my friends at college, except my college relationships developed over four years and CFC was only three weeks long. Some of the letters I received in thanks from the students really touched my heart and made me feel as though I may have been an impact on them by encouraging them to go after career and education goals. I will miss them a lot!
The letters were written in Vietnamese and graciously translated to me by my friends Thao and Thai. Here are a few samples:

From Thanh (James, 8th grade):

Dear lovely Allie,

Sister, when you leave, will you remember us? But I'm sure that I will miss you so much. I think you are a great person and have very good relationships with everyone. Do you remember the time when we played basketball in the rain? it is absolutely the best memory I have in the CFC camp. Sister, why do you come here and then you leave us after such a short time? I am so sad. You and sister Devon are far away from me now, but you stay in my heart. When you come to Vietnam another time, please pay us a visit!
Green team #1!!
Your brother,
Thanh.



-----------------------------
From Hang (Raven, 8th grade),

Dear Allie,

Raven feels so sad because we finished three weeks together but I don't know how to say goodbye to you. I will try to study hard and achieve my goals, especially to have a steady job. I can go abroad and visit you in America to meet you again. You are just like a sister to me.
Last but not least, I wish you can achieve your goals, and I wish you health and strength. You are always #1!

Hang

 ---------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised by the collective sadness of all of the students in the camp, who all gathered in tears (boys and girls alike) as we boarded our bus to head back to Ho Chi Minh City. Goodbye is the roughest. I must now say goodbye to my great American and friends who were all very adventurous and outgoing while in Hoa An. Mary, Clark, and I will continue on to Cambodia and Thailand to travel on our own next week.
Tam Biet!

No comments:

Post a Comment